THE NEW YORK ATHLETIC CLUB
The New York Athletic Club is a private social club and athletic club in New York City. It was founded in
1868 and has approximately 8,600 members. The club has two facilities: the City House, located at
180 Central Park South, and Travers Island, the summer home, located in Westchester County.
The NYAC can be considered the foundation for amateur athletics in the United States by establishing
the definition of an amateur. It was the first organization to compile and apply a code of rules for the
government of athletic meetings, the first to offer prizes for open amateur games, and the first to hold
an amateur championship.
In 1866, William Buckingham Curtis, Harry Buermeyer, and John C. Babcock opened a gymnasium on the
corner of 6th Avenue and 14th Street in their New York City apartment, after discussing the rapid rise of
organized athletics in England. Interest in their gym grew, and the three men decided to found the New
York Athletic Club on September 8, 1868. Their goal was to sponsor athletic competitions in the New
York area and to keep official records for different sports. In the beginning there was no initiation fee,
but $10 was required for the first six months of dues.
NYAC members have won more than 230 Olympic medals of which more than 120 have been
gold. Presently, the NYAC has top-ranked competitors in wrestling, judo, rowing, fencing, water
polo and track and field, among other sports. Forty NYAC members competed for three
countries at the 2008 Olympic Games in Beijing, winning 16 medals.
New York Athletic Club
180 Central Park South, 6th Floor
New York, NY 10019